Tuesday 28 September 2010

Tzatziki and the Importance of Dill

My dad introduced me to Tzatziki, often adding it to the dinner table at the very last minute much to my joy.  And while his Tzatziki is good, it wasn't till New Years Eve 2007 that I learned to make the perfect Tzatziki.  Sweating away in the kitchen, champagne in hand, preparing a meal for our friends, my good friend from Greece, Eleni, taught me what many Tzatsiki-fans probably already know: dill is key.  You gotta put dill in the Tzatziki! It makes all the difference if you ask me (and certainly if you ask her). 


This yoghurt-based dish is quick to make and always adds an extra something-something to the menu.  10 minutes of prep-time and, voila, you can practically see the Acropolis. It makes boring boiled potatos worth eating and goes very well with chicken, lamb and meat balls. 


It is also an excellent snack - heat some pita bread in the oven for a few minutes and dip away.  


You will need:
1 peeled cucumber
a handful of fresh dill
1-2 cloves of garlic (depending on what you've got going on later)
350g of Greek yoghurt
olive oil
salt & pepper 

1. Slice the cucumber into thin slices and grate the garlic cloves. I recommend using  a box grater for both.  Chop the dill.

2. Add the cucumber, dill and garlic to the yoghurt.  Add a drop of olive oil.  Stir it all around.  Add salt and pepper as necessary. 

Kalí óreksi
!

No comments:

Post a Comment