Sunday 5 December 2010

Brunch at No. 67 in Peckham

I went for brunch at No. 67, a café in Peckham, this morning.  I am not a big fan of brunching - I always worry that the service will be slow as I am a pretty unpleasant person when my stomach is empty. I admit to it though I take some comfort in the fact that it runs in my family. 

Nonetheless I agreed to meet my friends, Pawel and Rena, for brunch at this café between Camberwell Green and Peckham High Street. I'm really glad that I did.  I had never heard of the place, but it has a cosy vibe and, most importantly, the service is fast and friendly.  

The menu has a Spanish twist so the closest you will get to a full English is a full Spanglish where the sausage and bacon is replaced by chorizo and morcilla.  Two in the group went for this option and very much enjoyed it.  I had the salmon and scrambled eggs.  Simple, but good and it came with nice fresh sourdough bread.  Two others in the group went for the baked eggs - eggs baked with tomatos and a side of beans.  They were happy with their choice.  The bill came to £48 for 5 meals, 5 large coffees (cappucinos, lattes etc.), 1 orange juice and 1 vanilla milkshake.  

The space is very clean and light thanks to its white walls and big windows. It doesn't feel sterile though and it is clearly popular with the hip and trendy locals.  

No. 67 is in the South London Gallery.  We had a look at the current exhibition after our meal. I am no art critic, but I'd definitely make the café my reason for heading down here.  The lunch menu looked good and I have no doubt that it would be a great place for an afternoon coffee and a cheeky piece of cake. 

Being part of a gallery it is closed on Mondays, but otherwise open from 10am - 6pm.  On Wednesdays it is open till 10pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment