Tuesday 5 April 2011

Explaining the queues outside the Breakfast Club

For a while I'd been pondering about the long queues that seem to form every weekend outside The Breakfast Club in Angel and Hoxton.  I mean how desperate can you be for a full english? Why are people spending precious weekend mornings in lines that goes half way around a block?   Can eggs benedict be that good?  Do you get infinite bloody mary refills?  Do the staff serve the breakfast naked?  

Last Friday I set out find answers to all my questions on my cheeky day off with Mr. Sprinkle.  I intentionally went on a Friday as you haven't met a bitch until you've met me in a queue waiting for breakfast.  We fortunately waltzed right in to the BC in Angel and got to pick between 6 or so different tables.  I quickly noticed that the staff is dressed so I crossed the "naked staff" explanation of my list of possible explanations as to why people stand in line for a table.  Upon examining the menu I found a pretty big clue about the queues.  List every single awesome breakfast dish you've ever had and you've got the BC's menu.  Nostalgic for the breakfast you had during your trip to New York?  Have the All American.  Really hungover?  Have the Full Monty. Desperate for something sweet?  Order some French toast.  Something healthy? Try the porridge. 

Mr. Sprinkle went for the Full Monty while I had the breakfast burrito.  I'm still dreaming about my burrito which was filled with scrambled eggs, chorizo, roasted pepper, guacamole and cheddar.   It was quite big, but I was determined to enjoy every bite of it and did.  Mr. Sprinkle was very happy with his full Monty which had everything you would expect from a full English. 



Not only is there a great choice of dishes, but they also serve up freshly squeezed juices, homemade smoothies and delicious coffee.   Best part?  Not one bit of stinginess - you order a smoothie and you get a nice big glass of it.   Likewise with the juice.  No two mouthful glasses here.  Mr. Sprinkle had a delicious smoothie while I had the freshest tasting apple juice in my life.   No coincidence there - I walk past the BC in Angel on my way to work and see the amounts of fresh fruit that goes into their kitchen.  

I can only speak for the BC in Angel, but the place is bound to brighten up any old grey morning.  Bright colours, 80s nostalgia on the walls and a giant orange SMEG fridge.  Moreover, the staff are friendly and welcoming.  


I will definitely be back on my next time I have a day off work or if I happen to wake up very very early on a weekend.  The Breakfast Club is truly awesome.  I can understand why people queue patiently outside every weekend though I best not try given my temper. 

The Breakfast Club has 3 locations in London at the moment (with a forth one planned around Spitalfields):
Angel: 31 Camden Passage N1 8EA
Hoxton: 2-4 Rufus Street N1 6PE
SoHo: 33 D'Arblay Street W1F 8EU

No comments:

Post a Comment